Call us on: 0345 548 8887
August Bank Holiday: Risk Management for your Pub
August 29, 2018

As the August Bank Holiday approaches, many pubs will be looking to hold events outside. However, this exposes the publican to a new set of risks. The best way to prevent an insurance claim is to have a good Risk Management system in place, and to ensure that you are fully aware of all the potential risks involved. Unfortunately, problems may still arise.

When should insurance be taken out?

Event insurance should ideally be purchased at least one week before your event.

Cancellation insurance should be taken out as far in advance as possible, and preferably as soon as you are committed to any expenditure.


Events staged outside expose publicans to a different set of risks, such as people falling over in wet or windy conditions, equipment becoming a hazard in the bad weather, or high winds causing damage to temporary structures. Your priority should be to protect everyone from the risks that could occur. To minimise the chances of injuries and damages, you should make sure that the equipment is constructed by the correct professionals.

If the weather causes enough of an issue so that the venue becomes a health and safety hazard, then the event will be cancelled, and you could be able to make a claim. Make sure that you check your policy to understand what scenarios are covered.

Can you bring your event inside if it is raining?

Yes, as long as you stick to the health and safety information provided.

Are pubs covered if they put up a marquee on their property?

If an incident occurs because the marquee has been put up incorrectly, the pub will be liable for any incidents that occur. On the other hand, if a third party such as a professional marquee hire company has been employed, then they will be liable for the incident. You should ensure that any company that you hire equipment from has their own insurance. Even if your event is on the smaller side, you should still get a professional to put up the marquee if at all possible.

Who do you need to inform if you are holding an event in a pub?

You will have to inform the council and the local licencing authority. The fire and police services may also need to be told, particularly if it is a large event. If your pub is in a residential area it would be good practice to contact the local council to find out what the local noise restrictions are for the area. It would also be helpful to let the local residents know there is an event being held, as this will help reduce the number of potential complaints.

Is there any type of cover I need for live entertainment?

If you have a band or other entertainment performing at your event, it’s important that you ask to see a copy of their public liability insurance policy. If they don’t have the right cover in place, any accidents or injuries that happen as a result of their negligence will not be covered and you could be held personally liable.

 What do you need to be aware of when serving food outside?

The serving of food outside must strictly adhere to Health and Safety Policy guidelines. Food must be kept away from customers and they must not be allowed to serve themselves. It is important to keep to the ‘scores on the door’ hygiene policy rating.

Are you charging an entrance fee?

Most insurers will not cover you if you charge an entrance fee, due to there being an increase in the number of claims when customers have paid for an event. This therefore would require specialist insurance which you can find out more about by contacting us.

Risk Management Process

Just because you have insurance in place, you should be aware that it will not cover everything. The best thing to do is to minimise risk and prevent incidents occurring in the first place. Having a good Risk Management system in place will help to lower the chance of an incident and will protect your reputation.

Get in Touch:

If you would like to discuss any of your pub risk management needs our dedicated team are on hand to help.



< Return to News